Friday, July 13, 2007

Going Home

So we’re almost off to Sweden, my youngest daughter and I. My oldest daughter is anxiously awaiting our arrival on Sunday, and I look forward to giving her a big hug. She’s been there with her Mormor (grandmother in Swedish) for three weeks. She’s been homesick in the evenings, but she’s been too busy to be homesick during the day. Her Swedish has improved, which was the reason I wanted to send her over there in the first place, and she has made friends with children who speak nothing but Swedish. It’s amazing how easy it is for children to just connect without even having a language in common. Somehow, a child’s play crosses the barrier and, when paired with another, they make up their own rules along the way. Many adults should take notes.

It will be great to see everyone again. My brother and his fiancée. My nephew and his [latest] girlfriend, whom I have never met. My niece and her little girl, whom I have also not yet met. My friends. My godson. I have one friend coming up from the south of Sweden so we can get together with some of our old classmates. THAT is going to be fun. Some of them I haven’t seen for almost 25 years! Is that possible? HOW is that possible? Some days I still feel like that very self-assured person I was at 18, but most days I am convinced I haven’t a clue. But, somewhere along the way I picked up a little bit of wisdom and a few life experiences that have made me the person I am today. Not self-assured, but God-assured, because without Him I’m sure I would have perished.

Keep me in your prayers, as I travel 4,655 miles with a very active, almost-4-year-old.

No comments: